The fourth edition of the Young Algaeneers Symposium (YAS 2018) is a symposium designed and organised by young scientists for young scientist, addressing all aspects of algal (both micro and macro) research and technology. Masters and PhD students, as well as early-stage Post-Docs working on microalgae (cyanobacteria and eukaryotic algae) and seaweeds are encouraged to participate and contribute to YAS2018 and further develop the growing young algal researcher network. Young Algaeneers from the private sector are welcome to apply too! This event will take place during May 16th – 18th in Oban (Scotland) and include both scientific and networking sessions.
The program will last 2.5 days during which time will be allocated for long talks, flash talks and poster sessions. All contributions will be classified in three main blocks. We will rely on the content of the abstracts submitted to fine-tune the final program.
- Microbial communities associated to algae cultivation Cultivation techniques with emphasis in the role of associated microorganisms to optimize algae production
- Algae processing: from cells to products Scaling-up algae cultivation and all steps during algae conversion into products
- Algae applications Applicability of algae for human benefit
The organization of YAS2016 was a great success. More than 90 young algaeneers coming from 21 different countries met in Malta during April 2016. You can check more details here:
Registration and abstract submission
As a Young Algaeneer, you are more than welcome to actively participate in the event with a talk and/or poster or just with your attendance. For registration, please sign in with your Google account and fill in this form.
Deadline for abstract submission is the 3rd of March 2018.
Authors of selected abstracts will be informed via e-mail on April 16th and final program will be announced shortly thereafter.
There is a flat-rate registration fee of £150.00 for anybody that would like to attend YAS2018, including the scientific program and a social event consisting in a two course meal in a selected restaurant.
Please return to this website soon to avail of the payment system currently in development.
The Algal Microbiome: Friends or Foes (ALFF) is a research program funded by the prestigious Horizon 2020 MSC Initial Training Networks (ITN) program to develop 15 outstanding researchers in the fields of algal biotechnology and aquaculture.
The next ALFF event will be held at the same venue as YAS2018 during May 14th – 16th and will be an open event -with very limited places- consisting in two parts:
- Lectures focusing mainly on policy and regulation in the scientific/algal/microbiome world (e.g. regulatory water quality monitoring, Nagoya protocol, biosecurity, bioethics, novel technologies for long-term environmental monitoring)
- A scientific conference among students, supervisors willing to speak and selected keynote speakers
Details on scientific program, registration system and possible combined packages ALFF event + YAS2018 will be announced shortly.
The conference venue will be the Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS) at Oban, Scotland.
There are several hotels and bed & breakfast establishments in Oban, which is approximately 3 miles from SAMS. From April onwards Oban is a popular tourist destination and gateway to the Scottish Islands, so it is best to book accommodation as soon as you can. Below are some hotels and Bed & Breakfasts offering accommodation at a range of prices:
- Oban Bay Hotel: From 13 to 17 May 2018 a number of rooms have been reserved each night at this hotel with prices ranging from £60.00 to £75.00 (including breakfast) Exact number will be updated soon
- The Ranald Hotel: from £110.00 per night
- The Rowantree Hotel: from £119.00 per night
- Best Western Muthu Queens Hotel: from £109 per night
- Perle Hotel: from £95.00 per night to £110.00 per night
- The Columba Hotel: from £72.00 per night
- The Oyster Inn, Connel (which is approx. 1.5 miles from SAMS): from £130.00 per night
- Ards House, Connel: from £198.00 for 2 nights
For details of Bed & Breakfast establishments in the Oban area, please use this link. The cost of Bed & Breakfasts ranges from £59.00 to £75.00 per night
Cheaper alternatives can be found at:
- The Regent Hotel: from £48.00 per night
- Oban Backpackers and Backpackers Plus: from 24.00 to 27.00 per night
For any further questions, please contact the YAS Organizing team via this form.